Sunday, April 2, 2017

Trailers! Trailers! Trailers! #2

WAR FOR THE PLANET OF THE APES
So far, the Planet of the Apes reboot series has been the high watermark for how to do a reboot properly. Rise of the Planet of the Apes was solid and Dawn of the Planet of the Apes was, quite frankly, marvelous. In terms of the little details, Woody Harrelson looks like he's going to make for a great villain and the characters seem rich/nuanced. And, how can I not be excited for a movie where monkeys wield machine guns? Overall, I'm getting a strong feeling that this flick's going to be a pretty excellent trip to the multiplex.

ANNABELLE: CREATION
Let me get the obvious joke out of the way now: Releasing this on April Fools Day was a rather bad joke. Hardy har har har! Now, then, let's get down to brass tacks. This movie doesn't look very good. It looks almost identical to the first one (which was also not very good). It's riddled with obnoxious cliches and horribly done jump scares. If nothing else, I'll give Warner Brothers credit for getting a better director, if nothing else. But, yeah, don't get your hopes up for this.

THE MUMMY
The Universal Monsters cinematic universe is a pretty strange creature in the current trend of modern blockbusters. For starters, it's both weird and kind of exciting that we're finally getting a movie universe (that was supposed to be kicked off with Dracula Untold way back in 2014 but that ended up being kind of meh) comprised of the iconic classic movie monsters. I wasn't sold on the first trailer because it just looked like a generic action blockbuster. As for this second trailer, I'm a bit more enticed to check out the actual flick. Don't get me wrong, it still looks kind of dumb; but, it looks like my kind of dumb. This trailer reminded me a lot of that one for Guy Ritchie's King Arthur movie that's coming out in a couple months. Both look like enjoyably silly pulp with quixotic but awesome needledrops (only here it's Rolling Stones not Led Zeppelin). Color me cautiously optimistic for this one.

BRIEF ADDENDUM: For those wondering, yes, I am aware that there was another trailer for King Arthur: Legend of the Sword that was released yesterday. What are my thoughts on it? Basically what I just said about the previous one in my bit about the Mummy (heck, they even used "Babe I'm Gonna Leave You" again, no complaints there). So, yeah, it still looks like dumb fun. 

No comments:

Post a Comment