Monday, April 10, 2017

THOR: RAGNAROK looks like a modern-day Flash Gordon

Honestly, the Thor movies have been on the few things in the Marvel Cinematic Universe that haven't really clicked with me. The first one's a fun fantasy flick and that's about it, really. And, the less said about Thor: The Dark World, the better. Thus far, that's been the main reason why I've been curious (but not necessarily excited) about the upcoming, Thor: Ragnarok. In comes this teaser trailer...
...and I'm now completely stoked for this. You've noticed that I mentioned the sci-fi cult classic Flash Gordon in regards to this trailer and I don't make that comparison lightly. Everything from the tone to the costumes and even the title design* looks like some VHS genre movie** fare from the tail end of the Reagan era. You better bet your bottom dollar that I'm digging this. Between this and Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2. It looks like that Marvel might actually start doing something interesting with its films from a visual standpoint. I'm hoping that I'm right and that these sudden splashes of color in a sea of entertaining but visually stagnant Marvel movies (yeah, I said it, come at me). Okay, all that gushing about how much this reminds me of retro stuff that I like is all well and good; but, let's discuss the actual trailer.

First things first, there are two big moments that I think are going to be the reason the geek community is going to be discussing this for a while. One of them is this shot of Thor's hammer being obliterated...

...and the other is the reintroduction of the Hulk.

Most people who knew about this flick already knew that A) Hulk and Thor were going to team up and B) Thor was going to lose his hammer. That first part didn't bring many surprises; however, Mjolnir (that's the name of his hammer for the uninitiated) being completely destroyed completely caught me offguard. But, if Iron Man 3 proved anything besides the fact that Shane Black should be doing more movies, it proved Marvel can do the "strip protagonist of powers and see how things go from there" rather well. Overall, this is a pretty great trailer and I'm beyond hyped to see it all plays out once Thor: Ragnarok hits theatres on November 3rd.
...
Also, this poster's okay, I suppose...


*Seriously, LOOK at this.

**For anyone who doesn't know what a genre film is...

No comments:

Post a Comment