Wednesday, March 21, 2018

A24's UNDER THE SILVER LAKE Gets An Interesting Trailer

Well, then. One of my most anticipated movies of the year finally has a trailer. Some of you may be asking why I'm devoting an entire article to this movie instead of just making it segment on another Trailers! Trailers! Trailers! piece. Well, I have two responses to that: A) This is my blog, not yours. & B) I like to shine a spotlight on smaller, independent films whenever they peak my interest.

First off, the main reasons I'm excited for this flick have to do with the cast and crew involved. It stars Andrew Garfield, Riley Keough, and Topher Grace (among a few other notable names). That alone is enough to lure me in; however, that's not all. It's being directed David Robert Mitchell. In case you don't know who he is, he directed It Follows (AKA one of the single best horror films of the past decade). He's also bringing back his DP and composer from that film over to this. So, not only is it going to look pretty. It's also going to sound incredible. I'm really curious to see what Disasterpeace brings to the table on this flick because his chiptune-infused, John Carpenter-esque score for It Follows was amazing and it'll be interesting to see how he follows that up. To quote Calvin Candie, "Gentlemen, you had my curiosity--but, now you've got my attention."

Now, as for the actual trailer itself, it looks pretty good. I was a little taken aback by the tone. It's by no means comedic; but, it's lighter than I expected it to be (especially considering the plot). There's plenty of weird imagery and the cast seems nifty. Not much I have to say other than it seems pretty neat and it should definitely be on your radar. In the meantime, we'll just have to wait until June 22nd to see what sort of sun-drenched noir tale director David Robert Mitchell and company have in store for us.

SIDE NOTE: Out of all the recent movies to do a needle drop of The Association's "Never My Love", I expected it to pop up in something like a Wes Anderson picture. Either way, I'm not complaining. That's a great tune.

No comments:

Post a Comment