Wednesday, May 3, 2017

Behold! A Trailer For THE DARK TOWER Is Finally Here...


...and it actually looks pretty wizard.

Okay, it may come as a surprise to some of you that I, a young man with a near-encyclopedic knowledge of the many realms of pop culture, am not very familiar with Stephen King's much beloved Dark Tower series. That having been said, you better believe that I can easily get behind a series that's essentially a blend of fantasy, westerns, science fiction and horror (seriously, any piece of art that positions cowboys as knights will probably catch my interest). And, after a rather extensive pre-production period (at one point, J.J. Abrams and Ron Howard were attached to the project before Nikolaj Arcel ultimately became the film's director), it's finally coming out a few months from now.

Now, that I've given a quick little explanation about this whole business, you may be waiting for me to actually give my thoughts on the trailer. Well, hypothetical reader, here goes... I think it looks pretty good. Whether or not it's faithful to the source material is something that A) I don't have enough investment in said source material to deliver an informed opinion on (if you want a look at this trailer from the eyes of a fan, I'd recommend reading this: http://birthmoviesdeath.com/2017/05/03/and-now-a-definitive-breakdown-of-the-first-dark-tower-trailer) and B) we'll have to wait until August 4th to know for sure. But, for now, I have hope for this one. Visually speaking, it looks quite impressive, especially when I took into account that the budget on this film was significantly less than your typical blockbuster nowadays. Granted, this isn't to say 60 million dollars isn't a staggering amount of money (it is). All I'm saying is it's interesting that a movie of this size and scope wasn't as costly as other films of similar nature (at least, if we're just talking about the production budget). The action sequences look slick and inventive (mainly the stuff involving its unique approach to cinematic gunplay). With all of that in mind, what really peaks my curiosity is Matthew McConaughey's villain. From what I've seen, this looks like new territory for him as an actor and I'm curious to see what he does with this role.

Before I go, I'd like to mention that they did release a couple character posters the day before this trailer was dropped and they're also pretty wizard.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment